2/03/2006

Is Robo Form safe?

Robo Form is well-behaved: NO ADWARE, NO SPYWARE. This is a statement from their website and I back that up 100%. I've been using Robo Form for a long time and I've scanned and tested my computer a lot and Robo Form indeed behaves very well.
I've enabled the Robo Form tray icon and also the Robo Form toolbar, and I scanned my computer for viruses, adaware/spyware and monitored all the time using the firewall.

The adaware/spyware scan. For this purpose I've used the latest version of Lavasoft AdAware SE Personal, Build 1.06r1, with the database updated to the version dated 03.02.2006. The result was no spyware or adaware threats detected, as you can see in the image below (and you can also see the Robo Form toolbar enabled)

Roboform adaware scan

The virus scan test. For this I used NOD32, with an updated database from 03.02.2006. I first scanned the directory where Robo Form installs by default (Program Files\Siber Systems\AI RoboForm\) and after that the entire partition. As expected, no threats were detected.

nod 32 robo form scan

The firewall test. I always have a firewall started and monitoring the activity. Since the day I installed Robo Form until now, there was no report of it trying to communicate through the web. The firewall I use is McAfee Personal Firewall 5. Even when I enable the tray icon, the process (called RoboTaskBarIcon.exe) does not try to connect to the Internet. The only communication is done via the toolbar, when Robo Form is able to detect new versions of it on the sites that are visited. It will prompt this way a window asking if you want to update to the latest version or not. But Robo Form does not send anything from your computer, so the passcards and other personal data are safe.

Robotaskbaricon.exe process report

McAfee robo form report

The reliability test. Robo Form is developed and marketed by Siber Systems Inc, a Virginia (US) corporation, in business since 1997. Robo Form is also part of the BBBOnLine Reliability program. What is BBB?
The BBB is a leader in public services related to ethical business practices and dispute resolution. It is our passion to promote honesty and integrity in the marketplace. We are committed to and guided by trust, respect and fairness. Our aim is to help make the local community a better place in which we can all live, work and prosper.

BBB reliability program robo form

What this all means to the end-user, is that if you report a problem regarding their sales practice or anything related to the credibility of Robo Form and Siber System, they are obligated to investigate and solve it.
Beside this, Robo Form als has a 30 day money back guarantee, so if you are not satisfied with it you can request your money back.

If you are still not convinced that Robo Form is safe, just do a search online and see how many respected publications recommend it (The Wall Street Journal, New York Times, CNET, MorningStar). If there was the smallest doubt about the safety of Robo Form it would have been reported until now.

That's about it. If you have questions send an email to spuby2000@gmail.com and I'll try to answer it.

Download the latest version here (approx. 2MB): Robo Form 6.6.4
Download portable version of Robo Form from here: Pass 2 Go 6.6.4

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I actually love the RoboForm software myself. I use it all of the time and it takes all the menial everyday tasks that I have to perform on my computer daily and shortens them extremely! What once took me fifteen minutes to complete now takes me only one second because RoboForm does the same task with just one click. In fact I wrote a FREE Report about a lot of RoboForm’s capabilities for use that aren’t even touched on in the User’s Manual for RoboForm. You can get that Free Report here:
http://www.booksbonkers.com/TheRoboFormReport!.html

Anonymous said...

I just tried to upgrade my RoboForm to the latest version 6.9.91. The Kaspersky virus checker immediately flagged it as having embedded AdWare, specifically: AdWare.Win32.WeatherBug.a

Most unwelcome, and not true of earlier versions that I know of.

RoboForm: Learn more...
RoboForm: Learn more...